Friday, August 15, 2008

I think I have a good maid

The maid we employed came on Wed(13/08). I've chosen this maid because she gave me quite a good first impression. She was in the agency centre as she was a transferred maid. The agent told me the previous employer did not want to have a maid anymore that's why she was sent back. She had worked with that employer for 7months. I hope the agent did not bluff me because to me, a transferred maid meaning the maid might not be a good one that's why the employer sent them back to the agency.

Anyway, as Hui and I needed a maid urgently (I'm going back to work on 1st sept), we decided to pick her. A new maid would required at least 6weeks before they can come over to Singapore due to those work permit and other processing issues.

We decided to get a maid mainly to help my MIL on the household chores so that my MIL is more free up to take good care of my 2 darlings. Ofcourse the maid need to help out in handling the babies too incase both started to cry at the same time or my MIL is tied up with something. Therefore my first criteria when chosing maid is she has to know the basic of handling infants.

According to this maid profile, she stated she like children alot and can speak english. Indeed her english is understandable to an extent without much guessing of what she is trying to say. Although she doesnt have much experience in looking after baby, but she does has some basic experience through helping to take care of her cousin's baby. At the agency when we interviewed her, she said she can cook chinese food. I shall make that as a bonus if the food she cook is really edible as knowing how to cook is not one of my top priority. She is from myanmar and is a buddhist (which Hui like as we are also buddhist). She can eat pork which is another bonus for us because it means we do not need to specially cook separately for her.

It's been 3 days since she arrived. So far so good. Very hardworking and automatic. When we do not have much things for her to do already, she will initiate to use a cloth to wipe whichever corner she find is dirty. She dare not eat or rest until we keep asking her to do so. To my surprise, her cooking is really not bad! She can many chinese food and they taste good too. She said she learn the chinese cooking from her mum and her mum belongs to the chinese sector group in myanmar. But compared to my MIL's cooking, ginger still the older the better. :)

Since she work so hard in the day, we decided to have the babies in our room at night so she can sleep better and not be disturb by the cryings. But she volunteered to look after them at night knowing that she might have to wake up every minute whenever the babies cry. But because we do not allow her to feed the baby yet, therefore whenever they started crying non-stop, she will have to wake us up for us to handle. I have a baby monitoring device in the baby's room and my room so I know what is happening in the baby's room. Although I cannot see but at least whenever the baby cry loudly or I hear any weird noise, I can dash into the room.

As of today, I am pretty satisfied with this maid and have no intention to change her away. But I will reserve my opinion of her until she pass my 3months probabtion. Till then if everything is as good as now, I will have an entry with the title
"I think I have a good maid"!

0 comments: