Elsie Elsie kick a ball, Elsie Elsie had a great fall....
This happened 2 months back and I wanted to blog about it but I forgot. I wanted to note down this incident which scare the hell out of me.
On 28th July morning, Elsie was playing and kicking a mini soccer ball with Andre. Somehow she missed the ball and fell to the floor hitting hard on the right side of her head. It immediately swell big and she was in great pain. As this was not the first time she fell, it didn't really bother us much except to apply gel and hopefully the swell will subside soon.
That morning the girls were supposed to have their swimming class and I forbid Elsie to go. Due to the bump on her head, I wanted her to rest at home instead although she was crying that she wanted to go swimming. I'm glad I made the right choice.
I message Hui Elsie's condition at the pool when Chloe was having her swimming lesson. Hui told me Elsie vomited. I panic and wishes for the lesson to end faster so that I could rush home to take a look at this girl.
When I reached home, Elsie was restless and still sobbing on the sofa. Hui had a friend's farewell cum birthday party to attend that day and he left the house with the 3 kids with me by lunch time.
I fed Elsie lunch and after half way, she vomited again. She kept complaining her head was very painful and she felt sleepy. So without finishing the balance of the macaroni, she lied on the sofa and fell asleep. Just 20 mins later, she was up crying loud complaining the pain again. This time I got REALLY worried!
I sms Hui's second sister to come over and help look after Chloe/Andre so I could bring Elsie to KKH. BIL was very kind to send me there while SIL jagar the other 2 kids at home. As usual, it's always long Q waiting at KKH A&E. While waiting, Elsie said she was hungry. So BIL went to get her sandwich from Delifrance. Before she even had a bite, she vomited again. I was worried sick and almost teared.
Hui came to KKH 1hr+ later. Finally it's our turn to see the doctor. She touched the bump, examine Elsie and said there seems to be some fractured. So a x-ray was done to see the condition. Result of x-ray was out 5 mins later and we went back into the room to hear the results from the same doctor. She took very long to look at the x-ray results from her computer screen and the longer she took, the more worried I am. I'm so scared that she will turned to me and say Elsie need to be admitted, condition not so good, blah blah blah...
End up......she said the x-ray look very normal. Cannot even see any fractured. Just a bump there which is normal due to the fall. My tense shoulder since this morning finally managed to loosen. My heart finally stop bumping so fast. I felt so relief. She gave me a brochure to read which listed all the possible symptoms due to a fall and said if Elsie went back and vomiting continues more than 4 times, had some symptoms listed in the brochures, I need to admit her immediately. She was given an appointment to see a neuron specialist one week later for review check.
After she went home, she seems to be her own self again. Bubbly, active and playing happily with her siblings. She could finish her dinner too without vomiting anymore. I stop her from school on Monday too so I could monitor her one more day at home. She was doing great except on and off complaining of the pain which the doctor say is normal as there were bruises around the bump. Once the bruise and bump heal itself, she will be fine.
1 week past and it was the review with the neuron specialist....
He did a few test on Elsie to make sure her brain is working fine. He asked her name, if she recognize me, walk in a straight line, hold something on her hand and ask her more questions to see if she can speak properly without mumble.
"Elsie is fine. She can be discharged with an open date for appointment". I told him this is the first time I see she had some signs after a fall. He told me it's normal because if the fall is hard, the brain is shaken and within the first 6 hours, the person will feel nauseous, restless and sleepy. Some might even be unconscious for that few minutes. Once the brain recovers itself, all these symptoms will be gone. He took a look at the x-ray that was done back then and said the results looks good. No damage anywhere.
Finally this whole saga is over! Hopefully no second time of falling from any of the kids with such symptoms that Elsie encountered! My heart cannot take it!




0 comments:
Post a Comment