I was kind of expecting this pacifier will not last because I can feel the side of it is starting to wear and tear after prolong washing and sucking. Indeed on this date, it gave way and side of it spilt into two resulting in a small hole. This gave me a hint that it's time to really train him to wean of the pacifier. Mission impossible task came early by 2.5 months.
He still continued to suck his defect pacifier during the day but he didn't suck for long because of the air escaping from the hole. It just doesn't feel right for him.
At night, Hui cut the top a big hole and this makes the pacifier totally impossible to suck anymore. This night was his first time sleeping without the pacifier in his mouth. We kept repeating to him that the tu-tu is spoilt. LL, he took quite awhile to fell asleep without his favourite comfort in his mouth.
Midnight, he started to cry loudly and in search of his favourite pal. He couldn't stop crying and Hui had no choice but to stuff the spoilt pacifier into his mouth. Silence immediately and he fell back into deep sleep. That was how dependent he is to pacifier!
The next day (14th May) I'm almost determine to get him wean off the pacifier. Whole day the pacifier was not in his sight although I did brought to mum's place. The spoilt and the new (just in case he really cannot survive and totally refuse to nap, I will have to give him the new one). The day nap was successful. He fell asleep without it. Playing during the day time, well done! He didn't look for it. After finishing his last milk at night and getting ready to sleep...
Andre: "I want tu-tu, I want tu-tu!"....
Daddy: "tu-tu spoilt. Throw away"...
He fell asleep reluctantly.
Midnight he woke up again crying for it. "tu-tu spoilt"..Hui kept repeating. Again he fell back to sleep after a long whining session.
Day 3, kept the pacifier away from him again. This day seems much better. He didn't mention much about it. I started to get annoying by teasing him "Andre, where's your tu-tu?". He replied "tu-tu spoilt. Throw! Ah ma, buy!". Seems he still holds on to some hope that his friend will reappear some day.
Night time falling asleep was a breeze. He didn't ask for it. He did not wake up in the middle of the night crying for it. Mission impossible is almost possible.
Day 4, I tease him again about his tu-tu. He rolled his eyes and refused to answer me. Nap time and night sleep was quick with no pacifier and no mentioning of it. I think he understands now that he had to bid farewell forever to this friend of his for almost 2 years.
Day 5 (17th May), the 5th day the pacifier was out there in a corner containing dust. I did not bring the pacifier to mum's place since Thursday and he had never mention or ask about it anymore. Not in the car, not during nap, not during play time and not during night sleeping time.
This mission seems smoother than I expected. I thought he would take longer to wean it off since he's so much more dependent on the pacifier than his sisters. Well done, son!





0 comments:
Post a Comment