E&C had started their first lesson with I Can Read on 2nd July. Before attending the class and get enrol, they had to go for a diagnostic assessment to see if they are ready for this school and to determine where their standard are. I booked an appointment with them on 25th June for the assessment with Hougang Green branch.
The tester/teacher was an angmor and it was a very simple test showing them a piece of paper with 29 pictures on it. The teacher will go through every single of them and E&C had to tell her the name for that picture (eg, boy, girl, apple, tiger etc). Chloe was tested in a room with Hui around while I was playing with Elsie in another room. After Chloe was done, it's Elsie's turn.
Chloe did better with a score of 19/29 while Elsie was 17/29. The teacher tried to test them on phonics sound but they didnt do well at all since they are not exposed to phonics yet! I told the teacher they do not know any phonics, so the teacher just strike off that page and put N/A!
Anyway, after the assessment, the teacher said they can straight go to the TCS (THINKING AND CREATIVE SKILLS) class and skip the first level (LITTLE LEARNERS). The assessment is not really about how well they do (if they can answer all questions, what for I still send them to school!) but whether they can speak and pay attention to what the teacher says. Luckily E&C did follow all instructions by the teacher and I felt they did pretty well. At least not running here and there while the teacher was asking them questions. We can really see how the girls had grown compared to the classes attended in Zoophonics and Julia Gabriel!
Since Hui was not in Singapore, his elder sis/BIL were very kind to send us to school and later back to Clementi (my mum's place). This big tummy mummy had problem driving long distance now so I'm glad they offered this help. If not I would have taken a cab.
First day of the class was great and better than I expected. I thought they would cry and insisted that I go into the classroom with them. Instead, they took off their shoes and walked into the classroom themselves!
After they went into the classroom, I quickly left the place before they changed their mind and wanted to drag me in. Went lunch with SIL/BIL, chit-chatted and 1.5hours just zoomed passed.
No crying or misbehaved for the whole 1.5 hours class according to the teacher. Their teacher is another angmor which I like about this branch (not sure if other branch teachers also angmor?) because it means no singlish (all the lah, leh, lors!) will be heard and I would think they can learn proper english through a foreign teacher compared to the locals.
* The teacher who teaches my girls class at Zoophonics doesn't leave me a good impression due to her spoken English. *
Their class are all the same age group (the 2008s) as they try to group the same age students together in 1 time slot. So cute to see all the little ones of their same age walking out of the classroom happily and waving goodbye to each other and the teacher when I went to pick them up after their lesson.
I think they enjoyed the lesson with this school very much as they kept talking about it after school. Asked them if they wanted to go to this school again, they shouted "YES!". Hopefully by end of this Term, their phonics skills will improve and able to pronounce words better. Let's see...

The back comes with a very nice print too!




0 comments:
Post a Comment